Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years Day at Smith's

It's incredible how things work when you have so much more time to do them.  I have had so many things I've wanted to write, but have forgotten most of them.

One great experience was the other day at the grocery store.  I had some coupons sent to me by Smiths-since I have a card, they sent me coupons for things I already buy.  I figured this was a great blessing since one: it was stuff that I normally get anyway, and two: some items were completely free (not even buy one get one, etc, just free.)  However, I was not really sure how I could work this at the self check out.  Thank heaven for actual people checkers.  Once I was in line I noticed that the people in front of me were getting cigarettes and it occurred to me that the only reason why people were in this line had to show identification and get items locked up.  Just then another shopper came behind me with only a large case of beer.  Not that I had anything against these people, I just thought it was funny that the only reason to actually go to a person to check out was because we all had to.

As I was checking out I was being very distracting, giving him these coupons sent to me, that coupon from a dispenser in the store, and my Smith's card to get the discount.  Then at the end of my groceries came the large case of beer.  Matt, the checker asked if this was mine as well.  The guy behind me laughed and said that I couldn't have it, and it was his.  I wondered for a second if his comment related to not wanting someone to take his beverage, or because I always look so young.  In my experience, chances are that it was the later. Which also made me smile even brighter because just earlier in the day I realized I would be turning 27 in 19 days.  It's true, I actually am getting old.  I just don't look like I am.  My new beer drinking friend did suggest that I could use my coupons on his purchase, and the man behind him suggested it could be a new year's present.  Then the first man said it could actually be a birthday present to him.  It really was his birthday, 56 years old, I believe.  That was the first moment in time I really did have a desire to have a coupon for beer.  But I didn't so I bid my new friend happy birthday and parted with a great experience in the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment