Sunday, December 11, 2011

A purpose to all things.

Many years ago, as a small child my siblings and I were each given some money to buy presents, or to spend it on what we liked.  Since we grew up in a very small town and a very large family, having money to spend in a mall was not a frequent occurrence.  After I had purchased a few suckers the size of my face for friends or siblings, I thought I would still have enough to do something great with my left over $5.

As we walked out of the mall there was a man dressed in dirty, worn-out clothing, and I overheard my mom and grandparents say something about how he's asking for money because he had no home to my brother.  I decided, everyone I know has a place to live - and does anyone really need candy?  I was at the end of our small group walking and decided I could put my money in his bowl and nobody would know.  I sneaked back to reach up and put my money in his bowl, but as I pulled my hand back the man looked over at me.  Then, with a look of gratitude that I will never forget said, "God bless you child."

Few experiences have had such a profound impact on my life.

I've decided there are things in my life that I would like to improve.  I will start to really "Blog" about my experiences.  The first of which is writing down all the characteristics I was before everything shifted.  It has been very interesting to learn a few things.
One: there will never be a time in life that everything is just perfect.  It's OK, that's why we are here, to always improve.  I knew this was true, I just forgot it.  Even the times when we feel we were our best selves, there are factors that makes us human.
Two: there are some things that come up more frequently than others - those are the more important ones to focus on.
Three: when working to improve oneself, and looking at yourself under an magnifying glass, it becomes more apparent when others seem to show characteristics you desire in a way that is much more than what you are doing.  Again, this is just fine.  It shows a great example of what you can do in a real life setting.

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."
Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment